Skip to main content

5-hour Energy

I'm a member of a place called Smiley360 that lets people try products and then post reviews, tell friends, etc. It's a great way for companies to get feedback from others, and it's nice knowing that your opinion is actually being listened to!

One of the campaigns that popped up was for 5-hour Energy. I've always been pretty iffy about energy drinks, since nothing really seems to have an effect on me. I usually love getting 1.25 liter bottles of Diet Coke (regular Coca-Cola is too sugary for my tastes), and the caffeine difference between them is negligible. But I love testing things out and figured this was a good way to see how it affects me, and also to give some feedback. So with that said, on to reviewing!

(Note: We do receive compensation for these reviews. We accrue "smileys" and those help us get into other campaigns, and there is a link at the end to vote for me to win a $500 5-hour Energy 'Treat Yourself' Visa Gift Card. This will not, however, effect in any shape or form how I review this.)

Two 5-hour Energy drinks and the smiley360 campaign welcome card.


Pomegranate Flavor
Berry Flavor

First, let's talk about 5-hour Energy itself, starting with the mission statement: "5-hour Energy is made to help hard working people feel alert and energized. It's small, light and portable so it goes wherever your busy life takes you. And you can take it in seconds and get on with your day." 5-hour Energy comes in a 1.93 fl oz. (57 ml) bottle. The bottle is pretty sturdy and about the size of my palm. It contains zero sugar, zero herbal stimulants, zero artificial dyes or colors. So what does it have? A combination of vitamins and amino acids, all with as much caffeine as a cup of coffee and only 4 calories. Here's a list of the ingredients and a bit about what they do:

Vitamins B6, B12 and B3 - Plays a key role in production of amino acids, the building blocks of protein and aids in processing of carbs for energy.
Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) - Found in leafy green veggies, fruits and dried beans, this helps produce and maintain new cells in our bodies.
Citicoline - A compound that plays a role in neurotransmission and helps support brain function
Tyrosine - Amino acid that transmits nerve impulses to the brain, found in meat, dairy, fish and grains.
Phenylalanine - Amino acid that enhances alertness that is found in dairy, avocados, nuts, leafy veggies, poultry, fish and whole grains
Taurine - substance found naturally in meat, fish and dary that plays a role with digestion and cell membrane integrity
Malic Acid - produces by the body during converting carbs to energy
Glucuronolactone - natural metabolite found in the human body that is shown to reduce sleepiness
Caffeine
Other ingredients - Purified water, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate and EDTA to preserve freshness.

Not bad. But how is it?

I hemmed and hawed over whether I wanted to try one this late (at 5 p.m.) and decided it was worth a shot.

The bottle recommends to take half of it for moderate energy, and the full bottle for maximum. I decided to take the full bottle. I was told that normally people just down it all in one gulp, but I preferred to take it in small mouthfuls. I was worried that it would taste bad but it was actually pretty good. It did have a slight medicine taste to it, was a little gritty and burned a bit going down. It also left an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth that I wasn't fond of. I would have thought it would have been smoother.

 It's been about an hour an a half to two hours since I drank the 5-hour Energy. I feel slightly more energized, but not much. I don't feel like I could just fall asleep anymore, but I don't feel the energy boost that the product claims. I don't know if this is because of my weight, or if I just have a resistance to caffeine in general because usually large amounts of coffee and soda have no effect either.

I still have one more bottle, and I will definitely try this tomorrow when I get up early to take my friend to work. Usually I'm just awake enough to be coherent and drive and could definitely use a boost. I'll post again about how that goes.

So all-in-all, if I had to rate this product between 1-5 with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest, I'd give it about a 2. I definitely noticed something, but not much. I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to, I could probably take a nap with no problem. While I will be giving it another chance, I don't think this is a product that I will be purchasing in the future.

Leave a comment on if you have tried 5-hour Energy and what you thought of it! Also, click here to vote for me in the $500 5-hour Energy 'Treat Yourself' Visa Gift Card sweepstakes. You don't have to enter in any information and it just takes but a moment to do so. It will also just open in this window so you don't have to deal with another pesky window popping up on you! Thanks!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASMR - Tingles Everywhere

I have a lot of problems with my anxiety that gets so bad that I can't even leave the house. It also disrupts my sleep and I get pretty sleep deprived. I take enough pills already, and I didn't want to tack an addictive sleeping pill on top of everything. But I finally found something that actually relaxes me enough that I can finally get some very much needed shuteye. ASMR videos. ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. ASMR Research & Support defines it as "a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs." These tingling sensations are triggered by either an internal trigger (from specific thought patterns) or external ones. External triggers can include things like whispering or unique speech patters, watching educational/instructive videos, sounds like scratching, tapping or paper crinkling, close attention from another person (like e

Smiley360 Review: Kikkoman Juicy Bird Project

So recently, I was chosen for Smiley360's " Kikkoman Juicy Bird Project ". In this we were to brine a chicken or turkey using Kikkoman Soy Sauce. Although I received these items to review for free, this is entirely my own opinion. I also apologize ahead of time for my usually horrible pictures as my cell phone has trouble in low light. I think it's time to start using a proper camera! "Experience the taste of umami in your meals with Kikkoman Soy Sauce . Try cooking with this dynamic sauce in traditional Asian dishes, mainstream American foods, classic Mediterranean dishes, Caribbean cuisine, or even to brine poultry." I've never brined poultry before, so I was excited to participate. I received not only 2 coupons for a free bottle of Kikkoman Soy Sauce, but a 5 gallon brining bucket as well. First, here's the recipe that was recommended: Kikkoman Chicken Brine Recipe Ingredients 2 cups Kikkoman Soy Sauce 2 Gallons water 1

Fractals and Pokemon

I've been quite busy the past few months and neglected to update the blog! Hopefully soon I will also be able to post about Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. Some of the things that relate to my Borderline Personality Disorder can be difficult to discuss about, but I want to talk about it in the hopes that it helps someone. But for now, I hope you enjoy some of the newer art I have been working on. One of my dear friends really likes Vaporeon and Eevee. I haven't drawn anything in years, but I wanted to try to give him something special. I used a reference image that I found online on my second monitor. The original image was from a coloring page on a site that had many, so I do not know the original artist. I will add a credit here as soon as I find out! Here is the original sketch. As you can see, I cannot draw a straight line for the life of me. I use an (old) Wacom Bamboo tablet, but even with a nice pen, I can't draw straight. Which is fine, since then I